Monday, October 08, 2007

Fall and Friends

The lovely fall weather continues, it's still warmish but the nights are chilly and the days are filled with amazing clouds. When I'm out driving here and there I can't help but have my camera at the ready, I could look at big fat puffy clouds all day. I love the way the white ones look like they're always moving, rolling across the sky. On this day I was at the market and it rained on just my car. Weirdest thing ever.

My search for a new iron continues. Bret picked up a new Rowenta at Costco on the way home.. naturally our local Costco doesn't carry them. It seemed leaky but I needed an iron so was using it thinking it would clear up. Oh I'm a dreamer. Just as I was about to lay my iron down on a piece of white fabric belonging to someone else he says gee, what's that all over your new iron?

RUSTY CRAP that's what it was. That wouldn't clean off.

On a happier note, Monica sent me some Amish Bread starter and Saturday it was finally time to bake! Does that look yumilicious or what? It was quite tasty. Thank you Monica.

Ok my little friends, it's back to work. My slave driving boss has me ironing up a storm but I do it gladly. My old Norelco iron from the back of the laundry room cupboard is treating me like the strap ironing queen I am! Have a lovely day!!!
Hey, here's an after thought! If you're a quilter and have an iron you love, let me know. I've tried a few different kinds. I want a nice slick sole plate. I did hear that the classic Black and Decker model was nice, and true it is, but its sole plate is rough and doesn't glide smoothly for piecing tiny things. I had one that I ended up passing on to someone else.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Conair cheapo model. Can't remember where I got it, maybe Target. The sole plate is nice & slick. Well, was slick until yesterday when I got fusible web on it : ) See you in 2 DAYS girlfriend!

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first Rowenta was wonderful, the second? Not so much. It does leak periodically, but I haven't replaced it because I just don't know which one I want and I'm too lazy to research.

But just so you know, those soleplate cleaning kits should clean the gunk up.

12:03 PM  
Blogger dee said...

the new B&D has a stainless plate-very shiny and slick.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep us posted about your iron search. If you look up the word "beleaguered" in the dictionary, you will find a picture of my Rowenta. It has just begun to refuse to turn on when I turn it on. I have had my eye on one of the Bernina irons and there's another brand whose name escapes me... and I don't want any of that auto shut off crap! We don't need no stinkin' safety features! :-)

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, my friends just sent me some amish bread starter too!! I'll be baking it tomorrow! (day 10!)

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you know of my Rowenta trials and tribulations. But to share...

Went through 3 Rowenta auto-shut off models. All spit and spewed. Ruined a quilt top I was working on. Now I'm on a Rowenta with no auto shut-off. It's the "Powerglide 2". No spit, no spew, no iron barf. One of their less expensive models ($50-$60) to boot. Oh so nice. I'm so happy.

Your AFB looks sooooooooooo yummy! I'm licking my monitor.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Lindah said...

I just spent $25 at the local grocery store on a Conair palm steamer. It is small, light weight, gets HOT and steams like crazy with NO LEAKS OR SPITS. Shiny soleplate. Talk about FLAT seams! My blocks have never looked so good--not even with either of my standard sized, heavy irons. This is perfect for small pieces (I did 16" blocks last week, and the light weight is such a relief to my aching hands/thumbs.

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is going on? Are we all having Iron dilemmas? I just pitched my Rowenta that I loved about a week ago because it died. I bought a Euro Pro Shark at Bed, Bath and Beyond because I had a coupon there and this thing stinks! It leaks, it only turns on from the "auto off" function when it feels like it - normally I have to unplug the thing and then plug it back in to have it start up again. It still smells when in use and it's spitting out stuff that is gross! I do not recommend this thing at all and wish I would not have thrown the box away before really using it. I think this thing will find a space on a shelf and be forgotten about. So, I to am on the hunt for a new iron. Wish me luck!

3:20 AM  
Blogger Mar said...

What horror stories I'm reading here! New irons are like new purses, I guess because we spend so much time with them! I need to be at one with my iron. I've been using my Rowenta Professional for about 3 years, so far so good. And yes, I used on of those B&D's and the soleplate drove me crazy!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

Yup, I have the Black And Decker classic one. I don't find it sticks generally, but I don't do as much small work as you do either. It's my dream to buy a professional steam iron. I got to use one at the clothing manufacturer I worked for when I was 19.

The clouds are gorgeous.

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer about the iron! Good thing you found out before ironing that pretty white fabric. I just had to buy a new one after ruining yet another iron. This one has a true non-stick surface since I seem to have a penchant for ironing adhesive.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Rowenta I got at Target. But, it's new and it says to use bottled water in it and now it's oozing all that white crap. So I'm at a loss as what to buy.
That bread looks yummy by the way.

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have Sunbeam irons at the store ... just heavy enough ... they turn themselves off if we forget ... they glide across the fabric. Hope that helps. Think it's funny that yours is the only car under the black cloud!

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny!! Looks like we were on the same page with the clouds!!! Don't you wish we had them way more often?? Fall's on the way!!
D.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older