Thursday, June 25, 2009

Summer Morning

Yesterday morning I went outside with my coffee to enjoy some cool summer morning air. You can't beat living in the valley area here for that, nice cool coastal influences. I had my camera with me hoping to catch a glimpse of the juvenile Mockingbird. The Mockingbird family has been around a lot this week. Unfortunately, my camera was set to the wrong setting for an outdoor shot, but it didn't prevent me from getting a little movie of a surprise garden guest, a small woodpecker. We have them once or twice a year and it's always a treat. This one has a little purple house finch as a traveling companion, although you can't see it in the video, I think you can hear it in the background. The birds have been enjoying the bounty of apricots my poor half dead tree has produced this year. This woodpecker is no exception. He spent about 15 minutes eating away. I loved every minute of it.

8 Comments:

Blogger jenny allsorts said...

I love watching the birds, too! We have a family of cardinals entertaining us these days - two scruffy little ones that keep their parents busy looking after them. We've spotted them out in the courtyard and on the front porch, too. All you have to do is follow the sound of the their chirps.

But... sigh... there is no such thing as cool morning air here in Texas. It's already hot before the sun comes up!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Mary Anne Drury said...

I think we had that woodpecker's BIG brother in our backyard over the weekend ..... it was HUGE .... so huge at first we thought it was a vulture of some sort !!! .... I mean HUGE !!!!!!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Candace said...

He looks like a downy woodpecker, Pam! They have such great personalities - and what a great companion he has - he knows how to pick a pretty girlfriend!
Cheers!

8:19 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Even the birds know you live on the better side of town...I've never seen a woodpecker here.

10:37 AM  
Blogger little acorns said...

I could spend the whole morning watching birds! You can tell this woodpecker is in birdie heaven - with all those apricots at his/her(?) disposal!
I'm so glad that you filmed a woodpecker - as we are always shoo-ing them away. . . as they peck on the eaves! It was good to actually get to watch one(!)
Hope you have a great day Pam!!
xo, Bren

11:19 AM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Ok PKM -- I know you're stalling. Enough of the birdies -- we want to see what you and Elizabeth made!!! ;-)

10:02 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I agree with Anna!! I have been sitting on the edge of my seat! Oh sweet post on the woodpecker!!!!

11:23 PM  
Anonymous amy said...

Ha! Enjoyed your morning wildlife report! Of course, I'm sitting on the front porch (i.e., living on the edge of the internet signal...as close to wild life as I'd like to get) and listened to the morning bird chorus here while watching and listening to yours. Was that a water feature I heard?

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older