Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thursday


Good morning!  I got some sewing in, and some errand running yesterday.. regular day I guess.  How were things with you? I've had this little apron on my to-do pile for a while.  A few years ago I found a vintage apron that was made from this pattern, and I really loved it. That swishy inset in front was so different.  It was a home sewn apron, and I always had visions of taking it apart and recreating it. 

apron
 
But no surprise to me, or probably you, I'm just too lazy for that.  I happened to spy this vintage pattern on ebay one day, and snapped it up.  Of course instructions and sewing techniques have improved a lot over the years. I've been sewing garments since I was in elementary school, so I know my way around a pattern, old and new.  I thought I'd just go the easy way, and dig out my mom's old pinking shears and follow the instructions.  FYI, cutting things with old pinking shears, no matter how sharp, take some real hand strength.
 
Getting that inset in, even imperfectly took a little more time than I expected.  Those daises should cover slight imperfections.  Next up is making the tiny hems on the ties, and I hate that, so I probably won't finish this today.  I love the edge finishing though, just turn the edges over and stitch on some rick rack.  Hardest thing about that is choosing a color.
 
Hope you are having a good week!

6 Comments:

Blogger http://thankfullga447 said...

It is adorable and I hope you get to complete it. I love the fabric and the daisy trim.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Melissa P said...

Trims and embellishments can cover a multitude of irritations and imperfections. Love the daisy trim choice for this one!

6:59 AM  
Blogger jan said...

Adorable! Love the daisies with it! Have a wonderful Easter!
Jan

10:11 AM  
Blogger Grandma Shell said...

Pattern number please! That is the cutest pattern! Somewhere in my move I've misplaced the box with my aprons in it. I'm a terrible wipe-the-hands-on-the-jeans person so really NEED an apron LOL

Thanks for sharing your life, love your chatty blog!

12:14 AM  
Blogger Dora, the Quilter said...

Actually, I don't mind the tiny hems. First I staystitch in the same color thread as the fabric about 1/8" in from the edge. Then I use the strength of that line of stitching to help me turn turn in the 1/8", turn one more time, and stitch.
You may already have been doing it this way, but, if not, I hope this helps.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

I'm so out of garment construction mode, it is silly. Because like you, I did it for so many years. I can read the pattern, it is wanting to do it that kills me. I saw a really cute apron for $50.00. I didn't buy it but i seriously thought about it. Lazy for construction.

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older