Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Wednesday

So what's happening today?  Usual stuff on the agenda here. Yesterday though I took a bitty break and made something that I had obsessed over since I saw it on Pinterest.   You probably already know about Amy, she's so talented and totally inspiring.  I love everything she does, the clever projects, the fabric selections, the photography. Anyway... she made this adorable pincushion.  I loved it when I saw it, but then I saw this one Pinterest with the little kitty face and just about died.  Sandra writes about needing that feeling of  instant gratification and that's just exactly how I felt.


sewing and stuff

Looking back I see I've totally forgotten that it was quilted and of course I had to mix it up with some mini pom poms which were practically impossible to stitch on. But I did it! And it was gratifying!

sewing and stuff
 
One of the things I did try was a different method of stitching it all together. You may already be familiar with this, but it was a life changer for me!

stitching method
 
 I wish I could remember where I saw this. I've spent quite a bit of time looking for the blog..it's totally genius.  I usually leave a section around the edge open, then have trouble stitching it closed, especially on a circle, I get that lame edge spot.  This split back totally circumvents that problem. I would love to credit the very smart stitcher who blogged this.  GENIUS. Thank you!
 
And thank you guys, for hanging out with me!!! You're awesome! xo

10 Comments:

Blogger CuteStuffInside said...

Now I have to make one!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Bari Jo said...

This is uber cute! And the little kitty hexagon? Oh my..... THANK YOU for the tip on how to finis up the pincushion...I was just wondering how in the world I was going to do that.... and I like the looks of it - looks like you are adjoining two folded edges - easy to ladder stitch closed! Genius! I have a math question for you (again - hi - it's me the math retard) do you cut two circles for the back, larger than the top, and fold them in half to make the backing? If so.... what is the difference in size between the top one and the bottom one so that they work? I hope that makes sense... :oD

6:39 AM  
Blogger Bari Jo said...

me again... feeling stupid... do you just cut the same size as the top, only cut two and fold in half for the backing?

6:41 AM  
Blogger Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

So cute, there is always time to make a pincushion, I saw that neat idea for the back before here http://gogokim.blogspot.com/2011/12/cathedral-window-pin-cushion-tutorial.html it is the best way to close a pincushion!!

6:49 AM  
Blogger Melissa P said...

That is so cute!! And the tiny pom poms were worth the aggravation.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Sewing tips... I am going to be visiting those links, because that is an adorable pin cushion!
Sep weary

9:06 AM  
Blogger Library Gal Quilts said...

Love it! And the tiny little hexies wow. I have some of that pom pom stuff and I haven't used it yet. Looks a little bit tough to do. Yours looks just adorable! Good tip on the back closure. Thanks for sharing!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Sinta Renee said...

I am all for instant gratification! Um, and pincushions! Perfectly sweet. Thanks for sharing it Pam!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

You're all about giving me new things to love and want to do. This is to die over.

3:36 PM  
Blogger cat and vee xoxo said...

that is the CUTEST little pincushion!! I love your hexies and pompom trim - and that is a GENIUS idea for stitching it closed after stuffing it, thank you for sharing it. I am going to go have a look at your boards on Pinterest now! Cat.

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older