Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Warning! This post contains lizard photos.

Good morning! I felt like I should warn you guys, some people just don't like the not so cute wildlife. So we'll start off with the strawberries.  I am loving them. I hope to have them done today, yesterday I had a ton of errands to run and didn't get as much sewing in.  I am still so in love. 

first batch of strawberries
 
But now to the lizard talk.  Holy cow people, I've never seen such cool lizards in my backyard!  I was watering all my pots early and these two lizards were either fighting or possibly  "courting" as my husband called it.  Not sure which.  Or maybe just playing, who knows.  They were not afraid of me at all, when they were on the patio I walked right up to them. Later they moved it to the garden area.

backyard friends

It was a while, I managed to finish my watering and then go get my camera! And I took these photos standing about a foot away from their little playground.  I didn't want to get too close, all I could think of was if they ran up my pants leg.  I KNOW THAT'S NUTS but that's where my brain went.
 
backyard friends

Growing up we used to catch lizards and keep them in big pickle jar terrariums we lovingly set up for them with dirt and rocks and little plants.. you know those big old  jars that looked like barrels?   We'd then start catching flies to feed them and  after a while  my parents would make us release them. The lizards remained unharmed, well except for a few who lost their tails and the emotional damage of living in a pickle jar!

backyard friends
 
I think this is a Western Fence Lizard.  I found a great site to identify lizards.  They showed a bunch of different types, alligator lizards which I've had before and OMG legless lizards which sorry AREN'T THOSE SNAKES?   Anyway it was interesting, I really love nature and reading about stuff. 
 
Well tomorrow we'll be back to lizard free blogging. I'm off to the dentist now!  Everybody keep cool! xop 

16 Comments:

Blogger Thimbleanna said...

You're hysterical! Look at the beautiful blue belly on that lizard! I haven't thought about lizards in years. I spent some years of my childhood in the mojave desert and we used to catch lizards too -- although, I don't think we kept any. We kept the box turtles though. I think now, as an adult, I'd be thinking the same thing as you -- Protect the pants leg LOL!!!! Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so funny! I love seeing pictures of all your treasures, fabric or wildlife! They are not as cute as the humming birds though.

7:30 AM  
Blogger jan said...

Love the strawberries but not so much the lizards. My daughter loves lizards though. They are good to have around to catch other little pests.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Bev said...

Love your strawberries! I still don't have my pattern and it's been almost a month. I hope that it gets here! I would worry about the lizards running at me too...or spitting....do lizards spit with poisonous spittle? I think I heard that somewhere..lol...

Thanks for sharing your strawberries!

Cheery wave from
Bev

9:03 AM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

When I was still working I had lizards outside my office that would sun themselves on the brick walls. They would bob their heads up and down. Needless to say, they were all named Bob!

9:48 AM  
Blogger kervei said...

Such awesome lizzards! We don't have those here, I really enjoyed your pictures!

Love,

Ilse

4:37 PM  
Blogger Goosegirl said...

Oh my! The strawberries look great and so do the lizards. We haven't seen many lizards in out neighborhood here. But last week, when I was unpacking from our trip tonSan Diego, a tiny blue belly lizard stowaway climbed out of my suitcase! It was quite a hilarious surprise!

And staying cool? Yikes! It is sooooo hot here! This Spring, right after we moved here, I asked a neighbor when the winds would calm down. She told me that the winds would be replaced by high heat, and then we would wishing for the wind again. She was correct!
Happy Summer!
Sivje

6:00 PM  
Blogger Nedra said...

Your lizards are quite large. Here in Arizona we have Gecko's that crawl up the sides of our houses and buildings. It's quite a sight to see a bird dive down from the sky, and pluck them off the walls, and then proceed to eat them mid air. Nature can be fascinating and icky all in the same moment.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Jeanna said...

LOVE the strawberries. Can't wait to see those blocks in a quilt :)

Our lizards are much smaller, thank goodness because they are everywhere!

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Johanna from StitchCraft said...

We have lizards everywhere here (in S. Florida). I don't mind the little ones, as they eat bugs so I look at them as natures pest control. Monday we had a bright green anole sitting right outside the shop door and we watched him with fascination as he elegantly walked back to the bush.
You are not the only one who still enjoys watching lizards :)

4:10 AM  
Blogger GO STARS! said...

We have geckos, green anoles and Texas spiny lizards in our yard. I love watching them but don't want them to touch me (as in run up my legs!).

8:38 AM  
Blogger Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

Love your strawberries, the lizards not so much!!

9:15 AM  
Blogger barncat (Lisa) said...

Love all your strawberries, I've been working on them too, so fun!

No lizards here, I think they're kind of cute. ;)

9:20 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

Love the strawberries. Can't wait to see them finished. Your lizard story reminded me of catching fire flies (or lighting bugs) when I was a kid. Good memories.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Bari Jo said...

Those lizards look huge - yipes! Love the strawberry blocks!!!!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

wow Lizards. My sister has them outside her back patio, too. I love spotting them. They blend in so well in the first 2 photos I had to enlarge to figure out where they were. And you know me. Strawberry LOVE.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older